Tauranga Highlights tour
Experience the best highlights of Tauranga and surrounding countryside
This great local morning tour will let you see what Tauranga and the local Bay of Plenty region has to offer - from our stunning beaches and hilltop look outs, to historic buildings and other scenic locations. All topped off with an iconic Kiwi lunch of fish and chips by the wharf!
Tour outline: (the order of stops may change on the day of the tour)
Enjoy a taste of our home town with the most experienced independent Shore Excursion operator in Tauranga. This interesting smaller-group tour is a perfect short tour option. Get a taste of the city, letting you see places you won't be able to explore on your own. Our local guide will ensure a great morning on this popular trip.
- Admire the harbour and beaches that draw so many tourists to the Bay. See million-dollar houses overlooking one of the nation's best surf beaches at Mt Maunganui, where we take time at the Centotaph Memorial to explain the signifcance of ANZAC Day, commemorated on the 25th April.
- For history buffs we travel through the older suburbs of Tauranga, past the Elms Mission Station one of New Zealand's most important historic buildings and Tauranga's oldest colonial structure.
- Learn about the New Zealand Wars - fought between the British forces and local Maori in the 1860's. We pass the old fort of Monmouth Redoubt, before exploring the Gate Pa Battle Site - an important and fascinating part of Tauranga's history where the British fought local Maori and came off second best!
- Visit McLaren Falls - one of Tauranga's most loved parks. This scenic 190 hectare park is set on man-made Lake McLaren, and is home to one of the best arboreal collections in New Zealand.
- We travel past kiwifruit and avocado orchards and alongside the beautiful Wairoa River on our way to a panoramic viewpoint (weather permitting). From the Minden Lookout you will be able to see Tauranga harbour, 100's of orchards, the offshore islands and even your ship berthed at the Mount Maunganui wharf far below.
The highlight for many is our final stop at Bobby's Fresh Fish Market where we include a FREE Fish and Chip lunch before heading back to the ship.
If you prefer you can depart the tour here and explore Tauranga city centre and stunning waterfront on your own (make sure you make a trip to the Hairy McLary statues), with the shuttles back to the ship a short walk away.
After a great day out we will guarantee you are back at the port in plenty of time to board your ship, taking with you lots of wonderful memories from your tour with us into New Zealand's heartland!
NZ $89 Adults
NZ $49 Child (5-15y)
NZ $ 1 Infants (0-4y)
Length: 4 hours
Pick up and drop off Tauranga Port
Fish N Chips lunch,
Kiwifruit Orchard tour with tastings of Kiwi fruit, Manuka Honey
Full commentary throughout the tour
Comfortable Air conditioned vehicles