Taieri Gorge Express and City highlights
Enjoy the scenic Taieri Gorge railway and view historic Dunedin city
Famous for its wildlife and Scottish heritage, settled in the 1840s by Scottish immigrants, Dunedin retains its Gaelic character, with impressive stone buildings and is home to Otago University.
The cruise ships berth at Port Chalmers, a short distance from the city centre.
We begin at Port Chalmers where your guide will be waiting in the Cruise Terminal, just a few steps from the ships gangway.
- A short drive takes us into Dunedin City where the World Famous "Taieri Gorge Railway" begins. The impressive station building is worth a visit all on its own, the stunning ticket hall with its Royal Doulton decoration and 725,760 floor tiles will certainly impress. Time here before you board the train to take photos and check out the gift shop.
- After taking your place on the train in your reserved seats, sit back and enjoy the next two hours as the heritage train winds its way along the scenic Taieri Gorge to Pukerangi Junction - high up on the Otago Plateau. The train captain will provide an informative commentary throughout the journey.
- Many of the carriages have open air viewing platforms so you can get a real taste of the fresh country air plus get those great photos as the train winds it way around tight curves, over high viaducts and through deep tunnels, this really was a marvel of engineering in its day.
- Refreshments are available to be purchased on board, including beers and wine, but we do suggest you pre-book your lunch boxes in advance as they sell out on the day. See the link on the Summary Tab.
- On arrival at Pukerangi Junction, you will leave the train and board the mini coach for a scenic drive back to Dunedin, passing the dramatic landscape (primarily used for sheep farming), seeing much more than if you had taken a return train ride.
- Back in Dunedin, we have time for a short drive through the city to show you some of the highlights including of course the steepest street in the world - Baldwin Street - before returning to Port Chalmers.
Please note that the first departure at 08:30 follows the above itinerary. The second departure at 10:00 will drive directly to Pukerangi Junction where you will board the train at 11:45 for the train trip back to Dunedin, where you driver will be waiting to give you the city sights tour.
If this tour is not available then you could book the Seasider Train instead, see the Summary tab. The Hop On Off Tour DND-11 can be used to provide the transfer to and from Dunedin Railway station and also allow you to see the sights of the city.
This tour is proudly operated by us (Shore Trips and Tours) - New Zealand's best Shore Excursion team.
NZ $ 150 Adults
NZ $ 75 Child (4 to 14 )
NZ $ 1 Infants ( 0 to 3 )
Length: 6 hours
Pick up and Drop off Port Chalmers or local accommodation.
All Entrance fees,
Fully guided tour