Bay of Plenty highlights
Experience the best highlights of Tauranga and surrounding countryside.
Explore the lush countryside surrounding Tauranga city, and try some famous local produce!
Experience what the wider Tauranga and Bay of Plenty region has to offer. Explore stunning gold sand beaches, taste some of the regions fresh produce, plus enjoy a delicioius fish and chip lunch at the historic settlement of Maketu. A highlight for many is the tour of a kiwifruit orchard to learn about this amazing superfood.
Tour outline: (the order of stops may change on the day of the tour)
Enjoy a taste of our home town with the most experienced independent Shore Excursion operator in Tauranga. This interesting smaller-group tour is perfect for those who want to get a feel for how the city and our local region ticks, letting you see places you won't be able to explore on your own.
- We first travel deep into 'kiwifruit country' to the main kiwifruit growing area of Te Puke/Paengaroa. It's here that we board the unique Kiwi Karts for a short narrated tour through the orchards where you will learn the history of this iconic New Zealand fruit, now a multi-billion dollar per year industry.
- You will have opportunity to taste many kiwifruit products, try fresh fruit in season, buy an ice-cream or other refreshments all while browsing the small rustic gift shop.
- Our next destination is to Comvita - a short drive away. Here you can taste their honey products, including the famous Manuka honey. Browse the range of health products they produce before we depart for lunch.
- Next up is the small seaside settlement of Maketu - a place of special significance to both the Maori and European settlers. Maketu is the landing place of the original waka (canoe) of the Te Arawa tribe when they migrated from Polynesia over 800 years ago. 600 years later traders from Europe also arrived here to set up businesses in the district. Here we include a delicious fish and chip lunch at a stunning seaside location.
- From the cafe you can view Mount Maunganui in the distance, as well as the offshore island of Motiti - site of a major environmental disaster in 2011. The subsequent oil spill has been described as New Zealand's worst maritime environmental disaster.
- Leaving Maketu we travel alongside the estuary (home to many species of bird life), through coastal farm land used predominantly for dairy farming and then to the residential area of Papamoa. Here you'll see where the locals live in what is now New Zealand's fastest growing region.
- Our last stop is at an avocado orchard. Here you can learn about this trendy fruit, and see how the Bay of Plenty climate is the perfect place for them to grow. Then, it is back to the ship, with plenty of time to relax in the afternoon before your ships' departure.
This tour is proudly operated by us (Shore Trips and Tours) - Tauranga's best Shore Excursion team.
NZ $89 Adults
NZ $49 Child (4 to 14 )
NZ $ 1 Infants ( 0 to 3 )
Length: 4 hours
Pick up and drop off Tauranga Port
Fish N Chips lunch,
Kiwifruit Orchard tour with tastings of Kiwi fruit, Manuka Honey
Full commentary throughout the tour
Comfortable Air conditioned vehicles